Friday 12 July 2013

Tando's Book Week


This weeks focus on the Tando blog has been on the beautiful Book covers designed by Neil Walker.  I chose to work with the geometric patterned one, and I have to say when it arrive I got it out straight away and began my layering.  I started by priming the covers with white gesso, then on the front cover I used some texture paste and the Tangled Yarn mask...I then layered up the flowers and butterfly (didn't really matter what colours as it was all getting a good inking.  I then used some Cosmic Shimmer mists in my favourite colours and did each layer of chipboard a slightly different collection of shades.  SO once the base was done, I then did some stamping and used liquid pearls to decorate the next layer, for the top one I used lots of purple mist which I then flicked water over, then I wrapped it all in twine which I misted and glittered.  I used my big bite to punch the holes....my recommendation for you though is that if you are going to layer up all 3 layers of chipboard then punch them before you stick them together as it will b much easier!  For the central piece on the front I used a Crate Paper copper sticker frame that comes in their Cake Walk collection, to grunge it a little I made an inky background for it to sit on and then rubbed gesso over the top to dull the coper a little.  A few pearls, sequins and beads and the front was done.


A similar but slightly plainer look to the back.


Here are some close ups of the details



and the inside, I used some of the Maggie Holmes papers and as these are not double sided I made pockets with them, stitching around the edge, I've only made 4 pockets so far but with the jump rings I can always add more.

For lots more beautiful book inspiration here is the link to the blog, and also I have a page over on Created by ATDML looking at a chalk ink effect I've recently discovered - here is the link.

11 comments:

  1. Oh Kat that's gorgeous I adore the colours of the covers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've done a wonderful job on this - I wonder what you'll use it for :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh wow....this looks wonderful Kat....the rich colours make it look very elegant x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Katherine, I just wanted to tell you again on your blog that I love your version of this book covers kit !!! There is a great mix of colours on it, so brilliant ! Happy end of we and good week to come...:) Coco x

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is just beautiful and very inspiring :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. beautiful colours... I love the feature on the front - it is beautiful - looks like jewellery, jenx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely stunning colours and I love the layers.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading all your comments so thank you for leaving me one :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails